Sunday, October 23, 2011

expertise vs. accountability Part II

A slightly more succinct way of saying I meant to say in my earlier post:

When your engine is on fire, and you're out of gas, and your windshield is broken, you need to:

  • put the fire out
  • fill up the gas tank
  • replace the windshield

in that order.

You don't need to know why method ABC of replacing the windshield is superior to method XYZ at that moment.

Adherence trumps programming most of the time. Poor people typically make less-than-optimal financial decisions, say, on payday when they spend it on beer (rather than saving up so that food doesn't run out at the end of the month). You can TELL people how to manage their money better, but if you can't get them to actually do it, you're useless to them.

Adherence trumps programming. It doesn't matter whether I tell my client to do conventional deadlifts or sumo deadlifts or Romanian deadlifts. It matters more that my client freaking show up twice a week, every week, for the next 12 weeks.

It doesn't matter (as much) if my client optimizes her vitamin K2 intake or her serum vitamin D levels. It matters whether she avoids processed junk, 90% of the time, for the rest of her life.

1 comment:

  1. I like the car metaphor a lot. Miss you, bro! Hope you're doing well :)

    ReplyDelete